"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

-Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)

Friday, March 19, 2010

Weekend Blogwork

As I articulated today in class, your mission this weekend (i.e., homework) is to post 2 paragraphs of thoughtful and intelligent questions and/or arguments concerning the issue of migration control. Intelligent responses will of course include more than simple statements of your opinion - I will enjoy seeing you grapple with questions to which you don't have easy answers.

This is what serious thinking looks like!

I would also love to see you respond to each others' posts - feel free to comment as well as post (respectfully and thoughtfully, as always, though not hesitating to disagree!).

As a supplementary source, here's a link to an mp3 of this (Friday) morning's Marketplace radio show: it includes a brief story (2 minutes or so) about what's happening right now in the national immigration debate, and one particular group of people who have a vested interest in it (from marketplace.publicradio.org):

A congressional bill would provide immigrant farm workers a path to citizenship if they continue to work in agriculture. Farm management leaders say the move is vital to their industry. Jeff Tyler explains why.

Here's the text if you'd rather read than listen.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Petruzella, I am too lazy to write my two paragraphs tonight, so I will do it tomorrow, but I might my computer might be dead, so I may not post it to the blog, but I will have it in class monday.
    ~Sarah2

    ReplyDelete