"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

-Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Migration

The question of migration is not an easy one. People feel strongly about it on both sides. I had never really considered the issue much before this week, and now that I have I still don't have a clear opinion. I agree the our Government has a responsibility to it's citizen first and foremost. Just like I would take care of my family before a complete stranger. The government should make sure that Americans have job opportunities and a way to survive. That being said, one of the big reasons that Americans are losing jobs to immigrants is because the companies can hire migrant workers at a fraction of the price. If migrants could demand a fair price, then the incentive for businesses to hire them would go away.
Also, I think that borders shouldn't be locked down like a war zone. Cultural mixing is important for people to understand one another and get along. Locking down our borders sends the message that we don't want anything to do with other people. That being said, I don't know how many people our infrastructure can handle. Who's job is it to decide who has the right to try for a better life. Maybe our government should up our relief efforts in Mexico, that way there'd be less incentive to move here.

No comments:

Post a Comment