"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

-Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)

Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'll Only Do It If I Don't Get Caught

This post is exciting. If you enjoy sports, violence, The Office, thinking or living, you will enjoy this post.

This weekend I made a trek down to Connecticut to visit some colleges and watch some top-notch Williams basketball. I brought my The Office and Philosophy along for the ride. I had just finished the chapter regarding ethics and watching the games made me think.

I dare someone to go to a basketball game and not notice a player, coach or fan being upset by a call. At the Wesleyan game on Friday night, a Wesleyan player was using excessive elbow. He actually elbowed Joe Geoghegan, a Williams senior, in the back of head causing him to bleed. It was bad! But the player was never called out on it. He continued to use his elbows until he elbowed Blake Schultz, another Williams senior, and got called for a foul. He then became more aware of his illegal elbowing and stopped. (Good thing too because he was now guarding the smallest guy on the Williams team).

The point of my little recap is the virtue behind it. He only stopped doing something wrong once he was caught.

Some actions will have consequences for others, but not directly to you. If you are never caught for these actions, the repercussions will never affect you. But, the well-being of others should be a concern no matter what. Therefore, it doesn't matter if you won't get caught, don't do bad things.

No comments:

Post a Comment